I’m not sure why these guys operate this way – they’re more than happy to lose me as a customer and then throw huge discounts at me to get me back. If they’d just give me a good price I’d love not to have to go through this rigmarole. But after being with Cablevision for 2 months I checked Verizon’s pricing and it beat my current deal with Cablevision.
FiOS digital voice with number ported for free; 25/25 Mbps internet; HMDVR free “forever” plus a second HD STB, Showtime, Movie Channel and Flix. Since I already had the battery thing installed last time I had FiOS they gave me a fair discount. Basically the whole package for $87/month + tax, price locked for 2 years, no contract. Not as great of a deal as I’d had with FiOS originally, but it’s pretty good, and FiOS’s service is definitely better than Cablevision’s. I’ve heard Cablevision was rolling out their “DVR plus” service with all programs recorded “in the cloud” rather than on the actual box, but it’s been two months and I haven’t heard of it coming to Long Island. So basically 2 years later Cablevision’s service is exactly the same while Verizon has iPhone apps to control the DVR and use the phone as a remote, plus DVR that’s much faster and just generally better service.
On a side note, I noticed tonight I was having problems trying to stream Netflix to my Wii. I tried loading netflix.com on my laptop and that also didn’t work, it said “couldn’t find server movies.netflix.com.” I tested this via dig on my linux box and sure enough, movies.netflix.com isn’t resolving against the default Cablevision nameserver (184.108.40.206) – getting a SERVFAIL:
[evan@lunix ~]$ dig movies.netflix.com ; <> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 <> movies.netflix.com ;; global options: printcmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 17569 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;movies.netflix.com. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: movies.netflix.com. 232 IN CNAME merchweb-frontend-1502974957.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com. ;; Query time: 2129 msec ;; SERVER: 220.127.116.11#53(18.104.22.168) ;; WHEN: Sun Apr 24 01:23:58 2011 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 103
I tried the same query against Google’s nameserver (22.214.171.124) and it resolves correctly:
[evan@lunix ~]$ dig movies.netflix.com @126.96.36.199 ; <> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 <> movies.netflix.com @188.8.131.52 ;; global options: printcmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43718 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;movies.netflix.com. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: movies.netflix.com. 300 IN CNAME merchweb-frontend-1502974957.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com. merchweb-frontend-1502974957.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com. 39 IN A 184.108.40.206 ;; Query time: 34 msec ;; SERVER: 220.127.116.11#53(18.104.22.168) ;; WHEN: Sun Apr 24 01:37:26 2011 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 119
I set my router to resolve against 22.214.171.124 rather than whatever Cablevision provides and now it works. I’m not sure if this is related to the big EC2 disaster of the past few days but it looks more like Cablevision’s fault than Amazon’s or Netflix’s.