Fedora Core 15 & Gnome 3

Over a year ago, the hard drive in my primary desktop at home bricked itself and rather than going through the hassle of reinstalling Win7 on the new disk, I decided to go with FC12. I’ve been pretty happy with it in general, since I’ve always been partial to Red Hat and use CentOS primarily at work.
Continue reading “Fedora Core 15 & Gnome 3”

One reason I hate iTunes.

I’ve always hated iTunes. It’s a huge pile of bloatware and it’s slow as poo. It’s like 100 mb or more for an mp3 player. I remember winamp playing mp3s when it was a 500k download. Anyway.

I keep all my music on a Linux machine running samba. This way it’s available to every machine in the house. When I had Winamp on all my machines this was wonderful. But now that I’m forced into iTunes (thanks to having an iPhone), it turns out to be a major pain. In iTunes I unchecked the box for “let iTunes keep my libary organized” to prevent it from copying the entire library to each computer’s local disk. Initially adding my library of ~4000 tracks to iTunes takes over an hour (100 mbit wire) – it would take about 5 minutes in Winamp, even reading the ID3 tags for each track as it was added (rather than lazily as the song was played).

But the thing that iTunes does that is so annoying it prompted me to write this whiny rant is:

iTunes "Song Not Found"
iTunes 'Song Not Found'

If, for some reason, my M: drive (where the Samba share is mapped) is not connected when iTunes starts, every song in the library gets this “!” exclamation point of doom. If I attempt to play any of these tracks, I am given the option to locate the file. Nice in theory, but locating all 4000 tracks isn’t realistic. If I quit iTunes, reconnect the M: drive, and reopen iTunes, the ! persists. The only solution I’ve found to this is deleting the entire library from iTunes and re-adding it, which as I said, takes an extremely long time.

I have other reasons for hating iTunes, this is a blog, not a book.

Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED

This is annoying. I’m attempting to get to my photos on my Win 7 desktop from my Linux laptop. It works in Win XP clients, but smbclient is failing:

[evan@ehoffman ~]$ smbclient -L //192.168.10.105/
Enter evan's password:
Domain=[EVAN-WOLFDALE7] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7100] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
session request to 192.168.10.105 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
[evan@ehoffman ~]$

Update: This appears to be resolved in Samba 3.4.3 (release notes). Since there’s no RPM for 3.4.2 for FC11 I downloaded the source and built it and tried the smbclient against my Win7 box and it worked fine.