vCenter Data Migration tool doesn't restore SQL Express DB – Migrating vCenter 4.0 to 4.1 (part 2)

I’m into my second day on this project. It appears that the backup and restore procedures run to completion but on the target machine the database is empty. This is pretty easy to check; I just went in with SQL Management Studio, looked in VIM_VCDB -> Tables -> dbo.VPX_DATASTORE and did “Open Table.” On the source machine I saw all the datastores in there (as expected). On the target machine, however, the table was empty.
Continue reading “vCenter Data Migration tool doesn't restore SQL Express DB – Migrating vCenter 4.0 to 4.1 (part 2)”

vCenter Data Migration tool doesn’t restore SQL Express DB – Migrating vCenter 4.0 to 4.1 (part 2)

I’m into my second day on this project. It appears that the backup and restore procedures run to completion but on the target machine the database is empty. This is pretty easy to check; I just went in with SQL Management Studio, looked in VIM_VCDB -> Tables -> dbo.VPX_DATASTORE and did “Open Table.” On the source machine I saw all the datastores in there (as expected). On the target machine, however, the table was empty.
Continue reading “vCenter Data Migration tool doesn’t restore SQL Express DB – Migrating vCenter 4.0 to 4.1 (part 2)”

Migrating vCenter 4.0 to 4.1 (part 1)

When vSphere 4.1 was released earlier this year, I was mildly excited. Our ESX servers are still running 4.0.0 and I had been planning to upgrade to 4.0u1 for a while. When 4.1 came out it seemed to have vindicated my procrastination: now I could just upgrade to 4.1 and take advantage of whatever new features there were (I read something about memory compression… whatever).
Continue reading “Migrating vCenter 4.0 to 4.1 (part 1)”

vCenter: Error parsing the server "(server IP)" "clients.xml" file

I got the above error today after running Windows Update on my XP VM a few days ago. A quick search showed that the error is caused by a Microsoft update to the .NET framework. To resolve it, remove update KB980773 (Add/Remove programs, make sure “Show Updates” is checked; KB980773 is under “Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2”). I removed it and was able to log in without problems.

References:

Edit 10/22/2010: You can also resolve this by upgrading your vCenter client to 4.1, which I recently did. 4.1 is available on vmware.com.

vCenter: Error parsing the server “(server IP)” “clients.xml” file

I got the above error today after running Windows Update on my XP VM a few days ago. A quick search showed that the error is caused by a Microsoft update to the .NET framework. To resolve it, remove update KB980773 (Add/Remove programs, make sure “Show Updates” is checked; KB980773 is under “Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2”). I removed it and was able to log in without problems.

References:

Edit 10/22/2010: You can also resolve this by upgrading your vCenter client to 4.1, which I recently did. 4.1 is available on vmware.com.